1. Highlight and annotate diction that reveals Ethan's motivation for his change in behavior. Compose a sentence describing this motivation.
Underline diction that reveals Zeena's feelings about this change. Briefly summarize why she feels this way.
Based on the narrative, do you believe Mattie is knowledgable about Ethan's feelings? Explain your reasoning.
2. Annotate instances of imagery throughout the passage. Beneath the passage, explain the significance of a specific image to the author's central idea.
3. Chunk the sections of the text where the author employs flashback. What event is Ethan watching in the present day?
1. Highlight and annotate details that characterize Anpao. Explain how he differs from the brothers, and circle details that illustrate this difference.
2. Underline details of the setting. In a short paragraph, explain the significance of the desert to the theme.
3. Describe the mood of the folk-tale in one word. Circle diction from the passage that the author uses to establish the mood.